Croft House itself dates from around 1700. It may have been the coach house for Hopton Hall. It was bequeathed, with the adjoining cottage, to the people of the village by Mr Charles Ernest Sutcliffe in 1948. It consisted of one small room (now the entrance) and a larger one (about half the size of the present main room). At one time, the entrance to Croft House was used as a library, run by Mrs Talbot and Mrs Myers, the vicar’s wife.
Croft House served the church and community of Upper Hopton as a centre for many activities, even though it was small. St John’s Church used it for church functions and meetings, including the Mothers’ Union and Sunday School. The community also used it for meetings and events including Upper Hopton Playgroup, Youth Club, Third Mirfield Brownies and Guides and Tenth Mirfield Cubs.
The Upper Hopton Community Association was formed in 1980 and raised money to extend and modernise the rooms. This last year the kitchen and toilets have been refurbished thanks to a grant from Kirklees and contributions from some extremely generous benefactors.
Croft House facilities
St John's Heritage
Friends of St John's
St John's Church
For letting information and how to book Croft House